Grilled Calabrese Pizza
1 pizza crust (see recipe below)
½ cup pizza sauce (see recipe below)
¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
¾ cup Columbus Calabrese salami, julienned
½ cup mozzarella cheese
6 ounces arugula
salt and pepper
Pizza Sauce Ingredients
1 can whole peeled tomatoes,
2 teaspoons kosher salt and
2 tablespoons pizza seasoning
1. To make sauce crush tomatoes, add salt and pizza seasoning and cook for 5 minutes
2. Heat grill and pizza stone to 550ºF.
3. Place your crust on a pizza peel, and top with cheese, onion and salami.
4. Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone, close the grill, and cook for approximately 4-8 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
5. Remove the pizza from the grill and sprinkle with the arugula. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Allow the pizza to rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Yields: one 10"-12" pizza
2 cups warm water - 110 -115ºF
2 ¼ ounces active dry yeast
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 pounds all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1. Place warm water into the bowl of your electric stand mixer. Stir in the yeast and sugar, and allow the mixture to rest for about 5 minutes, or until the yeast foams and bubbles.
2. Add the flour and salt to the bowl. Fit your mixer with the dough hook, and knead the dough for about 10 minutes at medium speed.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and cut into twelve pieces. Roll the dough into balls and arrange them on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray the tops of the dough, cover with a towel, and let the dough rest for 3 minutes.
4. Lightly flour a work surface and roll each dough ball out into a 10- to 12-inch circle using a rolling pin. Top and bake as directed above.
Yields: 12 pizza crusts - dough freezes well